Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Honey, we have a problem."

Let's see...when would it ever be appropriate for a wife or girlfriend to send the text, "Honey, we have a problem," to her significant other...at a time when she knows it's possible he might not get it for another 90 minutes...and then not respond immediately when he tries to contact her?   
  1. Well...if he goes out with his buddies instead of being with her on their anniversary or another important date?  I would say she is justified and the message should be sent.   
  2. If he failed to put a new trash bag in the trash can after taking the trash out to the curb...for the 25th consecutive time?  Perhaps she is justified, but I'm not sure it warrants a text at that point.
  3. If the recently acquired puppy, that both the husband and wife adore, has become so attached to the wife that she sits outside the bathroom door and whines and barks while the wife is using the facilities?  Not really justified, nor does it warrant a text.
Well my lovely and amazing wife sent me that very text about a week ago and not surprisingly, sent me into panic mode!  Oh...did I mention that my wife is going through chemo and radiation treatments and had spoken with her radiologist that particular day?  Oh I hadn't?  Well now you understand my panic and borderline hysteria when I looked at my phone the other day and saw that message.  When I finally got a chance to speak to my wife she informed me that the reason she had sent that particular message was because of the scenario described in #3 above! Unbelievable!!!  Long story short...if you are battling cancer, it's never a good idea to begin a text conversation with somebody by saying"Honey, we have a problem."  I love you honey but I almost careened off the road, down a steep embankment, into a deep ravine.


Well if you haven't figured out by now, it's Jerrid this time, and not my lovely wife.  Additionally, if you didn't know it was me by this point, consider taking some reading comprehension classes.  They're called context clues...look it up.  Anyway, Meighan has been telling me to post something to the blog about how I'm doing because she's received many inquiries as to my status.  I've never seen any proof of this so I'm working under the assumption that she's trying to stoke my ego.  This is my last bit of homework for the evening...and like always, I'm saving the most difficult task for last.

I feel things are going about as well as could be expected.  My goal in life is to do everything I can to make Meighan's life as easy as possible, and Brayden's life as enjoyable as possible.  Needless to say, it turns into a full time job by itself, especially on those days when I have both of them under my care; I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, however!!  My teaching has regressed because of it and I'm certain that my kids think I'm a disorganized moron half of the time.  I apologize to them on a weekly basis and tell them this is by far my worst teaching performance in my 5 years on the job.  I'm sure the intelligent kids get it...and I'm sure the not-so-intelligent kids don't have a clue that anything is going on.  But that would be a proper description for any concept, idea, or topic in the average high school so maybe it doesn't really matter what I do or say? 


On Monday, I finally got to take Meighan to her chemo and radiation treatments.  I had taken my mom to chemo a couple of years ago so I had some idea what to expect going into it.  At one point during the chemo, while we were sitting in her private, corner room, with banks of windows on two sides, enjoying some Amigos soft shell tacos, I told her it was actually a peaceful and relaxing experience!  She agreed, as we actually got to sit and enjoy each other's company for a couple of hours. 

Monday's are kind of a cruel joke because that's the day that Meighan is feeling her best and is the Meighan at 75% that I have come to love and look forward to appearing Sunday afternoon.  By the time Monday evening rolls around, the chemo is hitting her system and she begins her slow decline to the misery that is Tuesday...when she can't stand up or consume any food without it eventually coming back up.  And yet she gets up and takes herself to the next round of radiation, and returns home, by herself.  I don't know how she does it because I turn into a wimpering fool with the slightest head cold or sign of flu-like symptoms, and she doesn't complain beyond the simple, "That sucked."  Regardless, I'm so completely enamored with 75% Meighan that I'm going to try to take her back next Monday.  Likewise, the thought of having 100% Meighan back after she kicks cancer to curb is more than I can imagine, and I will do whatever it takes to get her back!


Everybody I work with has been fantastic and done everything to try to make my life easier.  The administration has been great, allowing me to miss staff days, or take off time off at the last minute.  My fellow Biology nerds, Tim and Kristin, have been keeping my head afloat and making sure I have everything I need.  Coach Stenger has been very understanding and very accommodating with me as I have had to miss several cross country practices and meets this season.  This doesn't include the dozens of people who have stopped by to drop off food, or who have offered their services to watch Brayden.  Nor does it include my family and Meighan's family who have already made a several trips to Omaha to be with us.  I'm very thankful and grateful to all of you and wouldn't be able to get through this without you.

I see that I've rambled for much too long.  Maybe writing wasn't supposed to stoke my ego...maybe it was meant to be my therapy?  Thank you for your continued love and support...it is greatly appreciated! 


Best Wishes,

Jerrid




2 comments:

  1. Just to clarify: Mogi wasn't just whining outside the door while I used the facilities she felt the need to sit on my lap while I used the facilities! Now that is a problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that Meighan texted you that does not surprise me at all!! It made me laugh when I read it however, I am sure it was not funny at the time or maybe even afterwards to you Jerrid!!

    ReplyDelete