Monday, September 26, 2011

And so it begins...

Well my first round of chemo and radiation is over and if you have followed any of my previous posts you will not be surprised to find out that things didn't go as smoothly as we would have liked.
  • Problem #1...I was so bloated from my procedure last Monday that the radiologist had to have me do four x-rays in order to reposition the targets for the radiation.
  • Problem #2a...because I have been blessed with my mother's small and hard blood vessels they were not able to easily find one for the chemo injection.
  • Problem #2b...because they have to use a different vein for each chemo injection the fear was that if they found one today they would have a heck of a time finding another next week, and the next, and the next...
The solution to problems 2a and 2b?  Insert a PICC Line on my upper right arm!  Essentially it is a port line for my chemotherapy injections but instead of being in my chest it is going to go through my arm.  Lovely, I know.  And now we have the challenge of somehow bedazzling this thing so it looks presentable for Evan and Linsey's wedding in about three short weeks.  Soooo...after arriving at 8:30 I was finally able to leave the hospital at 3:30 which, come to find out, will be a typical Monday.  So if you have nothing better to do on a Monday I would be glad to keep you entertained for about 6 hours.

Now that I'm home I am already experiencing the symptoms they told me that I could/would.  Basically my insides are waging a battle against each other and I am coming out the loser at this time. They might be winning this battle right now but I as you all know I am determined to win in the end!  This would be bad enough if it was by itself, but it is in conjunction with my procedure from last week and I think the side effects are counteracting each other.  Additionally, since I am kind of a small person I think I feel the effects of any procedure a little more strongly than if I was a 250 lb. behemoth like my sister-in-law, Jina.  JUST KIDDING JINA!  That was from your brother and we can't wait to see you this weekend!

So there you have it...my day in a nutshell.  Tomorrow through Friday I go in for my radiation treatments.  I will have to get the x-rays done each day until my level of bloatedness is consistent and my marks haven't moved.  Thank you all, once again for you level of care and concern!  It is greatly appreciated by my family and I.  We will keep you posted as to my progress.

Meighan (with the help of Jerrid)

2 comments:

  1. You know I'm sure Mari would love to help decorate your PICC line, especially because it has to do with the doctor! She came today decked out in her nurse shirt with a stethoscope, gloves, band-aids, etc. and then we made glass slippers!! It sounds like your Monday is just about as long as the school day. If you could get me out of work, I'd be there! I hope things start going smoother for you. You must just like to keep it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers to my favorite SPED lady! I am hoping side effects become less and that you can be comfortable. We sure do miss you at LVJH!

    Get Well FAST!!! Let us help if you need it!

    Sincerely,
    Seth

    ReplyDelete