Sunday, September 18, 2011

Move your ovaries? WHAT?

Well there have been a lot of questions regarding the movement of my ovaries or in doctor's terms, oophoropexy.  At first, my reaction was very similar to all of yours:  "They can do that?"  "How?"  "Why?"  So to start with, yes, they can move ovaries.  To do this, they will make an incision on my side, and disconnect my ovaries from my uterus and move them up under my rib cage.  Sounds pretty easy, right?  We have chosen to do this for a couple reasons.  The radiation treatment I will receive will be pointed right at my pelvic region; therefore, my ovaries would get a direct hit from the radiation.  This would cause me to go into early menopause.  I'm only 28, so I don't feel the need to go into menopause yet if I don't have to! :)  Also, being newly married and having a four year old at home who thinks the world revolves around him; we'd like to keep our options open to having more kids in the future.  Moving my ovaries out of the radiation field will allow me to harvest eggs in the future, and hopefully give Brayden a brother or sister to knock him off his high horse every now and then! :)  I will not be able to carry a baby, but surrogacy would be an option.  I will go in tomorrow morning at 7:30 for this hour long procedure.  I'm having it done at Methodist Hospital on 83rd and Dodge.  I will have to stay the night Monday night, and possibly Tuesday.  Stay tuned for an update sometime tomorrow!

Meighan

1 comment: