Thursday, October 27, 2011

Perks?

Well believe it or not, there are some perks to going through chemo and radiation treatment.  Because of the frequency and side effects of the treatment I had to take the entire time off work.  I absolutely love my job, and this was very hard for me at first.  But once I got into the treatments, I realized there just wasn't any way I'd be able to do both.  Teaching is an all or nothing job, it's hard to work part days while being consistent for the student's sake and keep communication clear and open between all the individuals I work with on a daily basis.  This year, I am not only wearing the hat of special education teacher, but also special education department head and a Circle of Friends Facilitator.  So adding these on top of my day to day teaching, is definitely far too much to take on in my current state.  In my absence some amazing people have pulled together to take over parts of all three of my different jobs, and I know it hasn't been easy.  It's been hard for me to stay away, so I still try to stay in the loop and help when I can (through email and phone calls), but then I'm reminded how much I'm being docked everyday, so then I ask myself...why the hell am I doing any work? :)  But...that actually doesn't stop me...even though I may not be getting paid, I can't help but continue to help whenever possible, as I want things to go smoothly while I'm gone.  I also hate that so many people are having to take on extra because I am not there!  La Vista Junior High has been amazingly supportive throughout this entire ordeal, and I am so thankful to work with such am wonderful group of individuals.

Ok...so now to the perks.  Since I'm not working, I have been able to pick up Brayden from pre-school every Thursday.  Drop-off and pick-up from preschool is usually done by his awesome babysitter, Amy.  I have enjoyed being able to see him in his element at pre-school, see the smile on his face, and hear the excitement in his voice when he sees me and yells, "Mommy!" every Thursday when he sees I am there to get him.  We have also been able to go to Avoca a lot to see Nana and Papa.  We often go on Thursdays after pre-school and stay the night and hang out all day on Friday too!  This is a lot more time than we used to get to spend with them, and we are all enjoying the extra time.  Lastly, today I was able to go to Brayden's Halloween party at pre-school...such a fun time!

He finally decided on being a cowboy after much debate between a cowboy, astronaut, fire fighter, Transformers Bumble Bee, Darth Vader, and the list goes on...
Making a bat hat craft



Playing a game

He stopped on the pumpkin when the music stopped and got a glow in the dark spider ring!

Making a bat snack.

Finished product.

Handing out treats to his class.  Halloween seems to be Brayden's favorite holiday.  He loves helping me decorate, painting and carving pumpkins, watching Halloween movies and reading Halloween books, basically doing anything that has to do with Halloween, and is really into dressing up.




So even though some days feel as if I'm going through hell, I am so happy that I have been able to enjoy some perks through the hell.  I wouldn't trade this extra time with my little guy for ANYTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment