Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Riding a Rollercoaster

This entire ordeal (starting in August) has been a emotional and physical rollercoaster ride.  I never liked rollercoasters much...

Well yesterday was rough, I couldn't keep much down.  Hard to gain/maintain weight, and eat every three hours when I'm puking everything up!  I still didn't feel well this morning, but choked down some cereal before I went to radiation.  I was able to keep it down, but must not have looked the greatest because my radiation therapists were a little concerned with my "look".  Side note, my radiation therapists are amazing.  They are the most nurturing, caring, and sweet people I have ever met.  If I didn't love my job so much, I think I'd look into being a radiation therapist.  So today when I went to radiation looking the way I did, my radiation therapists, being their amazing selves, called up to my doctor to tell him their concerns.  Dr. Morris told them to have me come up right after radiation.  While at the doctor, they decided to put me on a patch that is supposed to help with nausea.  This is something I wear for 7 days.  I'm giving it a trial run, and if I like it, then I'll continue with it for the rest of treatment.  They also sent me downstairs to infusion, where I get my chemo treatments, for some nausea meds and fluids through my PICC line.  So I spent 3 more hours than expected at the Estabrook Cancer Center today, BUT it was well worth it.  I'm feeling a lot better, and have continued to keep down my cereal and a bagel so far today.  I'm also looking forward to giving the chicken enchiladas a try that are coming for supper tonight.  I'm sure you're probably thinking, after not being able to keep anything down yesterday you're going to give chicken enchilada's a try?  This isn't anything like having the flu, so it's not that my stomach can't handle certain foods, it's finding the right foods that I can stomach right now.  Oddly enough spicy foods are the one thing that sound good to me.  My nurse's have told me that my appetite and taste buds would change during chemo, and they have some.  The biggest change is that I have NO appetite...this is not normal for me!  I have always liked spicy foods though, so this is no different.  A change though has been my love for pasta...this is gone. (Along with my love for beer.)  I sure hope they both come back after chemo! :) 

I'm hoping I continue to feel well as we have a big night ahead of us.  First stop...Target.  I'm not ashamed to tell you all that we will be bribing Brayden with Lego's to ensure that he will take pictures and walk down the aisle at the wedding on Saturday.  After this, it's off to the airport to pick up Cait!!!!  We (or maybe just me) are so excited for her to come in!  I know the boys are excited too; just maybe not as excited as I am!  Then...let the wedding festivities begin: wedding errands on Thursday, pedicures on Thursday night, resting for me on Friday (while everyone else gets the farm ready for rehearsal dinner), rehearsal dinner Friday night, then finally the BIG day on Saturday!  Let's hope this patch does the trick and I continue to feel well throughout the weekend!

For now, I must go, as Brayden HAS to look at Halloween costumes online, RIGHT NOW!

Love,
Meighan

No comments:

Post a Comment