Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Just a little update...lengthy one at that!

Well it's 7:28 am on Tuesday morning and so far, I'm still feeling pretty well.  During chemo yesterday they gave me two new meds that are supposed to suppress the nausea for about 24 hours.  I also took some steroids the night before and the morning of.  So instead of 3 or 4 bad days...maybe I'll only have 2 or 3?! :)  So far so good...they thought the nauseousness would probably start kicking in around this afternoon or evening...we shall see.  Until then I'm going to try and get some things done.  First on my list, a blog update...second on my list, a new phone.  My beautiful iphone is crapping out on me...may have something to do with being dropped in the toilet a couple of months ago and then taking a pretty good fall off of the Omaha Patio Ride a couple of weeks ago. 

Going into yesterday, we thought it was going to be a very boring day, but we we're pleasantly surprised with how quickly the day went.  We went to see Dr. Morris at 8 to get my chemo orders, but instead just saw Jean (Oncology nurse to some, my savior to me...she is always only a phone call away and always checking in on me,) and Dr. Morris's PA.  Dr. Morris got called to surgery, but would be down later to see me.

By about 8:30, I was down checking into infusion hoping that I would have my old chemo nurse Kathy and sure enough...I did!  We were both happy to see each other, but wished the circumstances were different!  Not long after Kathy got me hooked up for some fluids...which by the way, through the port is very easy...Lori Fuchs, Estabrook Cancer Center's cosmetologist came to see me.  She educated us on the hair loss process, along with how to take care of my skin, scalp, and nails during chemo.  We made an appointment with her for a wig fitting on Monday.  I don't have a lot of hair to begin with, so when the first clump comes out I've decided to shave it all then.  She said it will probably be at least 10 days, if not 15 before the first clump falls out...but I want to be ready with a wig or wigs :), hats, and wraps when it does!  I also didn't know about all the different things that I can not put on my skin, things that are in most lotions and shampoos, so it was good to talk to her about all of this.  After she left Kathy came in and gave me a crap ton of benedryl through my IV, this is protocol before receiving Taxol chemo as many patients have reactions to it.  Well the only reaction I had was to the benedryl...go figure! :)  I immediately was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open, but then my legs and arms got so restless I couldn't lay still, let alone sleep...it was almost miserable.  Kathy had offered me ativan when I first got there to take the edge off, as some people are nervous about getting chemo, but I declined.  When I couldn't stop moving my arms and legs though, I asked her if I took that ativan if that would help and she said it would.  So I took the ativan and within an hour I was back to myself.  My mom then showed up with some PF Changs and her kindle with the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy downloaded to it...yep, I'm jumping on the bandwagon!  She didn't stay long as she was supposed to be watching Brayden, and he had been with Papa all morning, so she thought it was probably time for her to relieve Papa.  It was probably a good thing she left when she did after hearing the first thing Brayden told me when he got home was, "Mom, turns out my shit boots really are shit boots...I got cow shit all over them today with Papa!"  How many times can a four year old say "shit" in one sentence...goodness!  After my mom left our friend Shannon showed up with my favorite pretzels and cheese from Auntie Anne's at Oakview...yes I know they have them at Westroads, but the warm cheese from Oakview is MUCH better! :)  Ridiculous that I know this, but believe me...the cheese makes all the difference.  Not long after Shannon showed up our friend Kristin showed up with lunch!  Those girls stayed around for awhile, which was great and made the afternoon fly by.  After they left the hospitals dietician came by to talk about how to keep my nutrients up during my bad days when I'm very nauseous.  First and foremost, I have to keep pushing the fluids.  I have to get at least 72 ounces of fluids down a day...if I can't do this, I have to let Jean know and I'll either have to go in to get IV fluids or they'll send somebody out to give me them (if my insurance will pay for that.)  She also gave me some samples of ensure fruit juices to try...these not only count towards my ounces per day, but also give me calories and nutrients when I'm unable to eat much.

Yesterday, we had a lot of information thrown at us, but it was all great to hear and take in.  Not that chemo was a joke last time, but this time it really isn't.  There are a lot more things I need to stay on top of on a daily basis.  I went on a Target run last night with my sister and while there picked up a journal.  I thought this would be the best way to keep track of my meds, my fluids, my foods, and my nausea and vomiting.  My husband has also jumped on a new bandwagon and is putting me on a totally different diet...the hardest part for me of this diet is going to be NO pop and minimal alcohol.  :)  Although during chemo last time, I didn't drink either of these...so maybe it won't be as hard as I think. 

I'd like to end my blog with a string of text messages I received my family in Buffalo yesterday...
Text: "They say laughter is the best medicine.  I believe this is true!  Hope these pics help!

Text:  "STAY STRONG!"
Text: "Lean on ME if you're not strong!"




Text:  "We just want you to know we're thinking about you!

Text: "Heard you might loose your hair.  No worries, these two work for locks of love!"  (My thought...hell yes they do...I've never seen two dogs that shed so much!)

Text:  "Plus...hats are where it's at!"


Text:  "And everyone knows bald is beautiful!"
Text:  "Bottom line..."

Text:  This treatment is going to be a hole in one!

Text:  "I've got all the GOOD Catholics, and some angels, praying for you!"
Text: "Hope these crazy pictures have helped you 'grin and bear' it today!"  (My thought...that they did...Jerrid and I were laughing hysterically with everyone we got!)

Text:  My MAGIC balls says there are a lot of people in Buffalo that are going to LOVE YOU through this!!!!"



THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU...for all the support given to us thus far!  Everyone is always asking what they can do, sending cards, emails, texts, facebook messages, food, ect.  Keep the prayers coming and we will definitely let you know with what you can help with...from the bottom of our hearts...THANK YOU!

Love,
Meighan, Jerrid, and Brayden

No comments:

Post a Comment