Sunday, October 21, 2012

Nothing can go smoothly when it comes to me

So I updated the blog last while I was at the hospital getting my magnesium treatment.  Everything seemed to be going fine...until about 9:00.  Around then I started to get really hot and my face started to get flush.  This continued and the flush-ness extended down to my neck.  Since it wasn't getting any better my aunt Sherry went out to ask a nurse to come take a look.  Apparently, getting magnesium intravenously can cause one to become flush so they weren't too worried about it.  At one point I picked up my phone and I was seeing blurry spots.  My aunt Sherry then showed me a paper with some words on it and I was still seeing the blurry spots.  This was towards the end of my 4 hour treatment, so the nurse called the ER doc to see what he thought.  He thought it could be possible that I was allergic to the sulfa in the fluids they gave me with the magnesium.  They wanted to give me Benedryl through the IV, but I refused after my last 2 awful bouts with Benedryl through the IV.  So instead they had me hang around for about a half hour to make sure the redness started to go away.  By 12:30, it was going down and they let me go home.  I was still very hot and it was hard for me to sleep that night, but when I woke up in the morning only my cheeks were a little flush.  I was still seeing blurry spots, but after I ate breakfast those went away.  I didn't feel 100% by any means, so I just laid around most of the morning.  I kept telling my aunt Sherry that my face felt funny and seemed to be a little puffy, and around noon one side of my face was much more swollen than the other side.  In the meantime, my mom made it to Houston.  Before heading to lunch I emailed Dr. Subbiah telling him about this reaction.  He called me within 2 minutes!  (My love just keeps growing for him.)  He wanted me to come in so he could take a look.  Neither him or his fellow really could come up with what was causing this, so they gave me some benedryl and a steroid.  By the next morning, I finally felt better (the best I've felt since I've been down here.)  The swelling had gone down some, and I wasn't really flush at all anymore.  Dan left yesterday and my mom, aunt Sherry, and I ran some errands and hung out by the pool.  While hanging out on the patio, I received an email from Dr. Subbiah, checking in on me and asking how the swelling was.  This man is great!  I have never had a doctor give me the attention that he does!  Quite frankly, I think my husband might be the only man who gives me more attention than he does...my husband really just can't get enough of me! :)  I am so happy with my decision to switch doctor's, and so reassured every time I have some sort of contact with Dr. Subbiah that he is the doctor for me.

Speaking of my husband...he can't get here soon enough!  He comes in on Wednesday of this week.  He was supposed to stay until November 4th, but now that I will be here longer than expected and Brayden is staying longer (Oct 31st - November 13th), I think he's going to stay a little longer also.  The boys will also be coming down over Thanksgiving.  I think we are getting a schedule worked out so there really aren't any days that I am here alone, as we aren't sure how I will handle this treatment.  It's a very aggressive treatment, so the side effects could be rough.  I've got a tough long road ahead of me, but I can handle it as it will all be worth it in the end.  Thanks to everyone who has offered to come down and help out!  For those of you in the Omaha area...don't forget about my husband.  It's great that I will have someone with me at all times, but I don't want him to get too lonely...especially since I took his dog! :)

Today mom and I are just hanging out.  I didn't sleep well last night, so I'm hoping to nap quite a bit.  Tomorrow, I go in to have my fluid drained again...can't wait for this as I'm pretty uncomfortable at times!  Also, hopefully tomorrow I'll hear more info regarding when I'll be starting treatment.  I plan to stalk a couple people with phone calls until I get some information. 

Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers!
Meighan

No comments:

Post a Comment