Sunday, October 7, 2012

Real problems

Last night I went to see Pitch Perfect (Rebel Wilson is HILARIOUS) with Cait and some friends and when I got home, Jerrid was crabby.  After asking him why he was crabby, his response was something negative (and not appropriate to post on here) regarding HIS Huskers.  Seeing him like this over HIS Huskers it's no wonder he gets the way he gets when HIS wife is going through all that I am.  Then, before going to bed last night, I logged onto Facebook, and many posts were Husker fans lives evidently coming to an end because of the outcome of the game.  So...because of this and my crabby husband...I have decided that Husker fans need to get some real problems!

Speaking of real problems...here's an update on my "real problems":

I had a quick trip to Houston this past week for a very short visit with Dr. Janku regarding my treatment plan.  He spoke to us about 2 different drugs that are both FDA approved.  These drugs though are not FDA approved to be used together to treat cervical cancer; therefore, this will be considered a clinical trial.  They are both in the pill form.  I will take them both for the first five days and then alternate days after that.  I will have to be down in Houston for the first four weeks in order to see my doctor weekly and be close if a problem would occur.  Although, there aren't many side effects besides nausea, mouth sores, and high blood pressure.  After the first four weeks, I will go home but will have to come back to Houston monthly after that.  I will also get scans every 8 weeks.  The goal of the combination of these two drugs is to shrink the tumors and cut off the blood supply to the tumors to prevent them from growing...sounds like perfect goals to me!  So all of that sounds great, right?  Yes it does, but of course it wouldn't be right if we didn't play the waiting game for awhile.  So at the moment, we are waiting to make sure my insurance will approve one of the drugs.  If they don't...back down to Houston ASAP for plan B.  If they do...back down to Houston to start this clinical trial on October 18th. 

So while I wait I will be spending some time at school getting my long term sub set up.  Although, I don't think that will take much as they have hired a teacher who retired last year and has had all my students within the last three years.  It's a HUGE stress relief to not have to worry about school and the students right now and instead focus on getting better and ALL that entails.  I will also be getting a blood transfusion on Tuesday as my hemoglobin is still low.  Hopefully this will bump up my hemoglobin and give me more energy.  Lastly, I will be working on travel plans, housing plans, and getting things in order here for my boys while I'm gone. 

One more thing...we may be looking for some friends and family to either drive down to Houston with me and/or spend some time down in Houston with me until my mom or Jerrid can get down there.  I plan to drive down on the 17th and my mom probably won't be able to get down there til the 22nd, so if any of you are available during the 17th through the 22nd...please let me know.

Thanks for all your continued support and prayers!
Meighan

No comments:

Post a Comment