Friday, November 30, 2012

In a nut shell

It's been a long week and I really don't want to re-live it...so here is my "in a nut shell" version for all of you!

I finally got moved to a hospital room on Tuesday night around 11.  I did a lot of sitting around, feeling just fine, and getting a lot of fluids and antibiotics through an IV.  On Wednesday night around 9:30 they came and got me for an abdomen and pelvic CT.  They wanted to check things out to just to cover all our bases.  They were thinking the bleeding was probably caused by the UTI and not the Avastin.  Of course nothing can ever run smoothly when it comes to me...so I was down in imaging for 2 hours, for a 7 minute scan.  During this scan they gave me lasix through my IV which is essentially a lot of water blowing up my bladder.  SO...I was literally up every 30 minutes that night to go to the bathroom!  Around 6 that morning I got a random pain in my right rib cage.  Similar to a pain I have had before, but it progressively got a lot worse so I called my nurse.  She gave me some pain meds through my IV (which she had been wanting to give me for days...the doctor's and nurse's are amazed that I don't have pain and are constantly asking me if I do.)  These did not agree with me though and came right back up, along with making me super nauseous.  So then my nurse gave me some anti-nausea meds through the IV, but those didn't work, so she gave me more, but those didn't work, so she gave me more.  I finally just went to sleep and pretty much slept on and off through all the interruptions until around 2:00.  When I woke up at 2, I wasn't feeling nauseous anymore and able to keep food down.  The doctor also made it in around 2.  The doctor doing rounds that day was Dr. Janku (my first doctor.)  It was refreshing to see a doctor who is aware of my situation.  He didn't have the radiology report on my CT yet, but he had done some measurements on his own and found that the lessions on my liver he measured had shrunk a little,  the fluid in my left lung was gone, and my pelvic tumors looked to have stayed the same!!!!  This was great to hear!  ALL of this after essentially only ONE round of treatment!  I of course am all smiles and excited and my mom and aunt Sherry couldn't understand a word he said, so they were all sorts of confused!  He also said that I could go home if I felt up to it...which of course I did!  Upon returning "home" to our apartment I ate and went back to bad, woke up again, ate, and went back to bed!  This morning I'm feeling pretty good and Dr. Janku just called with the official results from the CT.  He said it read pretty much exactly like he had told me yesterday and that my cancer is stable...yes folks, STABLE!!!  He was very optimistic about this especially after essentially only one treatment.  I will follow-up with Dr. Subbiah next Friday before my next Avastin treatment on Saturday, so I'm looking forward to talking to him to get his take on it all! 

Until then, I'm going to try and enjoy my Aunt Sherry's company, and Jerrid's sister, Jina, is coming for the weekend tomorrow.  On Sunday, Sherry, my mom, and Jina will go home and my Aunt Kris is coming to stay for the week.  I don't think she knows what she has gotten herself into yet and how bored she might be! :)  She'll go home on Friday and then some fellow Wayne State Wildkitties will be joining me for the weekend!!!  Here's to feeling good for awhile and staying out of the ER/Hospital!!!

Keep up those prayers...they are working!!  Thank you for ALL of your support!
Meighan

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing good news! Praying for you always! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi meighan,
    My name is Shannon and I have deligently been following your blog for the last 6 months. It's actually reading your blog that has inspired me to start my own blog this time around. I am 28 years old, newly married, and facing my 3rd recurrence of cervical cancer. So I'm pretty sure you know how much this SUCKS for me. I would love to talk with you further. My email is shannonbartoorn@comcast.net.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fighting against cancer isn't an easy journey. Moral support from your family and friends make it less stressful and hopeful though. It's been almost a year, Meighan. How are you now? I hope you're feeling better and fighting against your illness each and every day. Get well soon! :)

    Aurora Diag @ AuroraDX.com

    ReplyDelete