Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Long story short

First of all...Thanksgiving was great!  Although I didn't feel well that day...it was great to have some family down here to celebrate.  Friday, I woke up feeling much better and at half time of the Iowa/Nebraska game best friends of ours, Jeff and Lacey, showed up to surprise me!  This was amazing!  It was great to see more familiar faces!  On Saturday, I had Chemo and Avastin and that evening we went to a bar to watch the Notre Dame game...I lasted the whole game and ate almost an entire Jimmy John's sub!  Big night for me! :)  Sunday everyone had to leave and mom and I headed to the hospital for more chemo.  I started feeling the effects already that evening and on Monday woke up with a fever and more nausea.  I laid around like a miserable person all day on Monday, but forced myself to eat to try and keep my weight up.  Early this morning around 12:30 I started bleeding, so mom and I headed into the ER.  (Side note: remember that bleeding is a side effect from the Avastin we were not hoping for.)  While at the ER they ran a lot of blood tests and other tests.  They found I have a UTI and an elevated lactic acid level.  This means that some of my cells aren't getting the oxygen they need and are being compromised.  This could be good cells OR this could be the cancer cells...we're hoping it's the cancer cells!  Usually there are other side effects that go along with elevated lactic acid levels so they are able to tell which cells are being compromised, but I don't have any other side effects so that is what they are trying to figure out at this point.  So around 1:00 p.m. today they said they were going to admit me to the hospital for observation and for IV meds for my UTI.  It is now almost 9:00 p.m. and I'm still in the ER waiting for a bed to open up in the hospital!  I'm going crazy!  I feel fine and am so sick of lying in a bed...beings I've pretty much been lying in a bed since Sunday!  ER beds aren't very comfy either!  Hopefully I get out of here soon and to the hospital.  Not that the hospital is going to be that much better, but the beds are more comfy, it'd quieter, and I get my own bathroom!  Tomorrow, I should see Dr. Subbiah, which I am anxious for.  I want to hear his thoughts on all that is going on and where we go from here. 

For now...pray that I get out of the ER soon and that it's the cancer cells being compromised and causing my lactic acid levels to be elevated!

Oh...one more thing...a sign that happened today...
Mom and I were watching Wheel of Fortune tonight (we're that bored) and the last puzzle was "Don't Give Up Hope"

Love to all,
Meighan

No comments:

Post a Comment