Thursday, September 29, 2011

Curable

Today after my radiation treatment, I met with my radiologist, Dr. Duckert.  He will check in with me once a week.  While talking with him he kept using the word, "curable" when talking about my cancer.  This was very reassuring and great to hear!  He also sent me in for a pelvic MRI this afternoon.  This was strictly for radiation planning, specifically planning for my upcoming implant radiation.  He stressed that he didn't want this to concern me in any way that he was getting this MRI, and it was strictly for planning purposes.  He needs a clear picture of where my tumors are, so he knows where to place the implant radiation.  Remember, implant radiation is like radiation on steroids and is placed directly at the site of the tumors.  My implant radiation could be done in a couple of weeks or at the end of my treatment.  The type of implant radiation I'm going to have is still up in the air.  It can be done during my daily radiation treatments, through a pelvic procedure, or a laparoscopic procedure.  In a couple of weeks I will have a pelvic exam and another MRI to see how well I am responding to treatment.  These will help in planning for where the implant radiation will be targeted and what type will be used.

As for today's MRI, Dr. Duckert just called a little while ago (yes at 6:30...how many of you were still at work at 6:30?)  He said the MRI didn't tell him anything that he already didn't know, we are on the right track, he will probably order another one in a couple of weeks, and to keep fighting! 

The more time I spend with my doctor's the more I fall in love with them.  They are amazing people, and make me feel as if I'm amazing (not that we didn't already know this...but everyone needs a reminder every now and then!) Seriously though, everyone has told me that I couldn't ask for better doctor's and they were right!  I have no idea how many patients my doctor's are currently treating, and quite frankly I don't even want to think about it.  (There are way too many people battling cancer right now.)  BUT...my doctor's (and nurses) make me feel as if I'm their only patient.  They have spent a lot of time getting to know my family and me, they are always calling to check on me, they spend quality time with me when I'm in their office, and they treat me as if my case is most important to them at this point.  (Which I know isn't the case.)  They look me in the eye and tell me, "You have to keep fighting."  "This is curable."  "We are here for you."  These men and women met me a month ago, but the way they treat me you would think I would have known them all my life.  They treat me just like all of you, my friends and family, do.  Today, I'm very thankful for my doctor's and nurse's and all they are doing for me.  As always though, I'm most thankful for all of you...my followers and supporters.  Thank you for all the cards, gifts, food, emails, texts, facebook messages, and phone calls.  We will never to able to thank you all enough for all you have already done, but are eternally thankful, as you are helping us through a very tough time.

Thank you,
Meighan, Jerrid, Brayden, and Mogi


No comments:

Post a Comment