Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Counting my blessings!

I know it has been awhile since I have last blogged...sorry about that!  I survived my day 15 treatment and the only side effect I dealt with was fatigue.  I was VERY tired for a few days afterward and then it started to look up.  By the time Kellie and Holly showed up last Thursday, I was feeling pretty good.  My dad showed up on Friday and it was GREAT to see him...it had been a month (that's a long time for me!)  I have continued to feel well and been able to get out and about quite a bit.  We have gotten out about every day, but don't stay out for long so I don't over do it. 

Today I had to meet with Dr. Subbiah before starting cycle 2 on Saturday.  My blood work looked pretty good besides my magnesium being low.  I opted not to get magnesium today though as my boys were supposed to be arriving around 2...so instead I just added it on to my treatment on Saturday.  I also feel pretty good, so didn't feel as if I needed it quite yet...I'm sure by Saturday I will.  Dr. Subbiah told my mom today, if it were anyone else I would tell them what to do, but she knows her body, I just listen to her! :)

While meeting with Dr. Subbiah today I had a couple big questions to ask him:
#1:  Can I go home after my day 15 treatment (Dec 9th) until my CT scan (Dec 18)?  YES!!!  That's right...I get to come home for a week!!!  I can not wait to get home, see some familiar faces, get ready for Christmas, and get re-engergized before I have to come back here for Cycle 3!

#2:  If I continue on this protocol will I be able to do my day 15 treatment back in Omaha? No.  Since this study is funded by MD Anderson, it ALL has to be done down there.  Therefore, if my CT scan shows that this is working and I continue on this protocol, then I will be traveling back and forth twice a month for treatment.

#3:  Tell me more about how my next appointment is going to go.  I have my CT scan on the 18th and then will meet with the doctor on the 21st regarding the results of it.  If it shows that my cancer has not progressed; therefore, it's stayed the same or gotten better I will begin cycle 3, day 1 on the 21st, day 2 on the 22nd, and then head home for Christmas.  If it shows that my cancer has progressed then they will already have another study ready for me and tell me about.  I will head home for Christmas and then come back after Christmas to start the new study.  I feel good about both of these options, although I REALLY feel as if this is working.  As I told my mom today, I feel as if my body is healing.  My body feels SO much better than it did a month ago.  I am not in any pain anymore and my abdomen is not retaining any fluid anymore...both very good signs! 

So, all in all, today was a great appointment with Dr. Subbiah!

The boys and Jill (Jerrid's sister) got here right around 2 and of course it was great to see them!  It's so great to have them all here (even Jill) to celebrate Thanksgiving!  Mom has been busy cooking all day, and my cousin Anton (who lives down here), will also be joining us for supper.

It's been a day full of great blessings!

I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Meighan

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete