Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm not freaking out, so you don't get to!

I went in today for my third implant radiation treatment; therefore, I still have anesthesia in my system, so bear with me.  Things didn't go as well as the doctor's would have liked today.  Once they got the implant inserted where they wanted, they took me down for a CAT scan to make sure it was in the right place.  The CAT scan showed that it wasn't where they wanted it, and this was due to my uterine anteversion.  This pretty much means my uterus is tilted and in the way of getting the implant where they want it.  SO...my doctors are discontinuing Tandem and Ring radiation due to this.  They are changing the procedure to Open Syed Template implant.  This type of implant requires an inpatient stay in the hospital for 5 to 6 days.  They will open up my abdomen to help place the implant in the correct position and then the implant will stay inserted for up to 70 hours.  I will have to stay in bed the entire time and can not eat for the entire 5-6 days.  You're probably asking, "well 70 hours is only 3 days, so how does that work?"  Well...Thursday doesn't really count as a day, as I won't even go in for the procedure until around noon, and it will take hours to perform the procedure and place the implant correctly.  From there, it will more than likely be inserted from Thursday evening until Sunday.  They will then take the implant out and I can not eat for another 24 hours after that.  Oh and I also can't eat on Wednesday, 24 hours before the actual procedure, to prep for the surgery.  So this whole going without food for 5-7 days will somewhat be new to me, and I don't think I'm going to enjoy it very much.  Throughout chemo there were maybe 3 days in a row that I would only eat saltines, but I was also feeling so crappy, I didn't really know any different.  As for this time, I should be feeling pretty well throughout this entire procedure, probably just hungry and bored! :)  I also don't imagine this is going to help with my weight loss issue...unless I gain a lot of water weight?! :) 

I would like to stress that this is NOT a set back at all, and has nothing to do with something going wrong.  Things just weren't able to go as planned, but what else is new when it comes to me and this entire ordeal?  Nothing has gone as planned throughout, but I've gotten through it all just fine and it has all been TOTALLY worth it!  My tumor is continuing to shrink and this implant is crucial in curing my cancer.  Therefore, this is what needs to be done and it will be all be fine.  That is what I keep telling my mother and Jerrid, as they seem to be freaking out about it more than I am.  I think they are freaking out for multiple reasons: 
1.  I am the one trying to tell them how this all going to work after just waking up from anesthesia.  Although, hopefully by now Jerrid has talked to Dr. Duckert as Dr. Duckert wanted to be sure to explain this all to him.  After waking up from anesthesia I don't start to remember things until the next morning, so I may not even remember all that I have typed in this blog tomorrow morning.  Dr. Duckert and Jerrid are also becoming best buds, so I think Dr Duckert was looking for an excuse to talk to another science nerd.
2.  It's just another added stress.  Especially for Jerrid, who just started 2 a day basketball tryouts today, so it's just more to add on top of everything else.   
3.  They are also, as to be expected, concerned.  Concerned about all that I've already been put through and all that I still have to go through:  all the prep work I have to go through, the entire process of this thing, and not being able to eat for 5 to 7 days.

I love them for this, but I also told them, I'm not freaking out so they don't get to! :) 

So...I think I'll leave it at that and if Jerrid gets home and decides he needs to add some info after he talked to Dr. Duckert, he will.  Lastly, while I am in the hospital; visitors, movies, magazines, and books are allowed to help prevent boredom! :)  Anyone who is under the age of 18 and pregnant is not allowed, though.  For now I'm going to go stuff my face and not stop until Tuesday at midnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment