Tuesday, July 3, 2012

No pain = gain!

 It's been a whirlwind last week!  Jerrid and I had a great time in Chicago!  It was great to get away and spend some time together just the two of us before my second round of chemo.  I felt absolutely great and we were able to do a lot!  We went to the art museum, went on the Chicago Architecture tour on a boat ride down the Chicago river, visited Navy Pier, and ate a lot of great food (some of which that wasn't on my diet...but I also needed to gain about 5 pounds to get back up to my before chemo weight...so I HAD to do it.) :)  Lastly, we celebrated a great friends wedding!  On the way home we stopped in Grinnell to see some more great friends for lunch and break up the trip a little. 
Much too hot for a wig in Chicago!
One night for dinner I stepped out with Miranda on and we visited Millennium Park and "the bean."


Chicago Architecture Tour on the Wendella Boat

Packing on the pounds with some Bacci pizza before the Cubs game!

Navy Pier...great view of the Chicago skyline!

Ended up going to the wedding without a wig also.  I wish I had my shorter wig because it would be a lot cooler than Miranda.  I'm also much more comfortable without a wig at this point.  It's taking me some time to get used to it as it's not only a lot more hair than I'm used to, but it also itches after awhile and is hot when it's 100 degrees out!  The bald look is so much cooler and easier, and my husband loves the bald look!

The bride and groom!  Such a beautiful DIY vintage wedding!  The DJ was great and we danced the night away!
We got back from Chicago late afternoon on Sunday and picked up our little girl (Mogi...the dog) from Evan and Linsey.  It sounded like she had a great weekend with them, but definitely missed her mother.  She is very attached to me and never leaves my side, and hasn't since I've been back!  I also got in one more huge meal to add on that last pound before chemo.  My lovely father took us out for supper, along with ridiculous Cait and her ridiculous friends! :)  What an experience!

Monday morning we were up bright and early, having to be at chemo at 7:45.  I started with getting my blood drawn and fluids started, then headed up to see my one of my main men Dr. Morris, 4th to my husband, son, and father of course!  If I didn't look like a cancer patient before walking around with my shaved head, I definitely looked like one now dragging an IV through Estabrook, up the elevators, to Dr. Morris's office!  Dr. Morris was pretty impressed with how well I rocked the shaved head and had to rub my head some.  I then shared with Dr. Morris that the pain I was having in my right side before I started chemo has since ceased and Dr. Morris was happy to hear this, as this means the tumor is shrinking and I've only had ONE round of chemo!!  This is the time you can all raise your hands in the air and yell "Woo hoo!"  Other than that...not much has changed with chemo and all that goes along with it.  They decreased my benedryl dosage and that helped me not get restless legs and arms.  We also decided on a different "drug cocktail" to hopefully help with my nausea, so we will see?!  So far, I'm feeling pretty good!  We had two visitors yesterday during chemo...K Hop over her lunch break and Lacey brought up lunch...other than that I got a lot of rest which was great!  Last night I was still feeling great so I headed out for a little bit and met up with some friends from La Vista Junior and it was great to catch up with them!  Oh and yes...of course my fam from Buffalo didn't disappoint and sent a lot of comic relief throughout the day.  My mom was actually in Buffalo for the past week, so she got to get in on it this time too...I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!



  Presenting - for your chemo-infusing viewing pleasure....




The Not-So-Synchronized Swimmers!

Give me an F!



Give me a U!

Give me a C!






Give me a K!




Give me a C!



Give me an A!


Give me an N!
Give me another C!
Give me an E!
Give me an R!
What's that spell???






HOPE! 



You're a star!

Grand Finale!

Mermaids and Mermen for Meighan!
They are pretty amazing, huh?!  I never knew they were so talented!  Even though they are 1,000 miles away they make me feel so supported as if they were right here holding my hand through it all!  I can not wait to spend a week on the beach with them in three weeks!  Thank you, thank you, thank you...love you all!

Also, a big thanks to Candle Queen Candles Gift Boutique and my mother for a fundraiser they are doing.  These beautiful bracelets made out of old silver spoons are being stamped with the word "HOPE" on them and Stacy from Candle Queen is giving me $10 for each bracelet sold to put toward medical bills.  If you would like to order one my mom is taking orders and collecting money for them.  There are currently 20 made and those will be on their way soon...but there are still over 40 more orders at this time that still have to be made, so please be patient.  The lady who makes them is on vacation for a week so it could be around 3 weeks before you receive yours.  I appreciate all of you who have placed orders...I've got a great bunch of supporters!


Well I think that is all for now...I'm just taking things one day at a time and hoping and praying that this new "drug cocktail" keeps the nausea away!  If I'm feeling up to it, I may try and get in some 4th of July activities in Avoca tomorrow, but definitely not going to do too much as I don't want to overdo it. 

Lastly, thank you for all of your continued support and prayers.  The gifts and cards continue to come in on daily basis and I read over them constantly.  Your support and all your kind cards and words is not only helping me through all of this, but my family too!  You are all amazing and we appreciate you all very much!  THANK YOU!

All my love,
Meighan

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Love the pics and I'm thinking of you guys often!

    Kati Settles

    ReplyDelete