Monday, July 9, 2012

It's only been a year?

Today is our one year anniversary.  Crazy to think that a year ago we were in Las Vegas having the time our of lives and then just one month after being home the big C hit!  We've been through a lot in the last year (it feels like it's been 10 years), and definitely have a lot more to go through this next year, BUT 30 years from now we will look back on these years as the building blocks of our strong love and marriage.  In all actuality, yes this year has been rough at times, but loving Jerrid just gets easier and easier.  He continues to amaze me on a daily basis with all that he does not only for me, but for Brayden and our family.  I know he gets discouraged at times because he feels helpless when I'm just laying on the couch day after day.  BUT...while I lay on the couch this is what he does:
  • takes Brayden to the park
  • juices
  • takes Brayden to the pool
  • grocery shops - which isn't easy and quite the process with this new diet
  • takes Brayden to the zoo
  • researches more healthy alternatives for me
  • plays baseball with Brayden
  • does laundry
  • entertains Brayden by being his "farm hand"
  • makes sure my water glass stays filled
  • plays basketball with Brayden
  • makes me food, makes himself something different, and makes Brayden something different
  • does more researching while Brayden jumps on his back
  • makes sure I take my meds when I'm supposed to 
I think you get the idea by now, and you know as well as I do that this does not describe a helpless man.  We all three wouldn't have made it through the last year without him and won't have 30+ more years together if it weren't for him.  Thank you boy!

As for me the past week...I've been hanging in there!  I didn't have any nausea, so the new "drug cocktail" worked...woo hoo!  One of the meds in it though makes me extra tired and I literally had ZERO energy.  I know you've all said that before and have felt that way, because I used to say it all the time, but imagine it times 10!  I have never felt this way before. 

Tuesday was a pretty good day, as the exhaustion hadn't set in yet so I enjoyed some time with some friends that came over.  On Wednesday I did make it out to Avoca and enjoyed a little time with family and friends, but also did a lot of laying around.  Thursday afternoon after I finally rose from bed at 11 and then proceeded to take 2 hours to actually get ready, we headed back to Grand Island to see Jerrid's family.  It was great to see all of them, even though I was pretty lame and just did a lot of laying around.  Finally by Friday night, I started to feel as if I was getting some energy back and got outside and took a walk.  That of course took it all out of me and right to bed I went.  By Saturday night though, my energy was definitely coming back and is coming back more and more every day.  Today I woke up a little nauseous, but I think I just needed some food as I seem to be doing better now.  Today we plan to do a little grocery shopping and maybe make a short trip to the zoo.  So I seem to be on the upswing and hoping to enjoy the next three weeks before chemo again on the 30th. 

Until then we've got a lot on the docket:
  • I'm going to give Yoga a try.  I've read a lot about it helping in the healing process, and I'll pretty much try anything at this point! :)
  • I'm also going to give Reiki a try.  My good friend Sarah has set me up with a good friend of hers that does this.  I don't know a lot about it, but know that it is a Japanese technique for stress reduction, relaxation, and promotes healing.  It has been effective helping cancer patients by relieving side effects from treatment (really it hopes with my energy level) and the disease and also promoting recovery.  Not only will I benefit from all these things, but she is going to do it for me for FREE!  I am so overwhelmed by everyone's generosity...it is simply unbelievable!  I can't thank Sarah and her friend Colleen enough!  I'm looking forward to giving her a call today to get going with Reiki!
  • Tammy Krummel has graciously offered to take our families pictures, also free of charge, so we will be having them done next week.  So thankful for this offer and her generosity!
  • In between these things, I've got some lunch and dinner dates planned with some girlfriends that I'm looking forward to.
  • Lastly, we will be headed to the Outer Banks of North Carolina on July 20th to meet the Walsh's for a week at the beach!  We are all very excited for this vacation!  The beach is my favorite place on earth and I can't wait to do nothing but sit on the beach and relax for a week!
Thank you for continuing to follow my journey and supporting me every step along the way!

Love,
Meighan

No comments:

Post a Comment