Monday, November 21, 2011

Cancer Free????

Today is a very surreal day...some days, I wasn't sure this day was ever going to come.  I am finally breathing a sigh of relief as I am done with cancer treatment, and I definitely went out with a bang!  As Dr. Duckert stated this morning, "You definitely didn't take the easy road to treating your cancer, but you got it done!"  Dr. Morris stated, "You had aggressive cancer, were a trooper through very aggressive treatments, but those treatments were very effective because I see no evidence of cancer!"  Even after hearing this, I still had to ask, "So, does this mean I'm cancer free?"  Both of them answered, "Yes."  I can't even explain how hearing this made me feel.  I'm still in shock, and just sit here staring off into space with a huge smile on my face.  Nurses keep coming in seeing if I'm anxious to get home, but I just tell them that I'd like to sit here and just take it all in. 

After discussing all the good news that I have been waiting so long to hear, Dr. Duckert and Dr. Morris talked me through the next 18 months.  I was just telling Jerrid the other day that I think these next 18 months might be the hardest.  Dr. Morris told me the same thing.  This is because I will probably be constantly wondering if the cancer is coming back.  Although this is normal, he said, I can't do that because then the cancer is still winning.  He said, "You have already won, don't let them take it back from you.  You are an inspiration to those who care for you, continue to be that inspiration!"  His words will always stay with me, especially through these next 18 months.  I, we, need to do our best to continue on with our lives the best we can and that's exactly what we plan to do.  I definitely have some time to make up for after being laid up for a good 3 months!  Some days will be easier than others, but I'll still have the amazing support system that I've had through this all to help keep me going. 

So for the next 18 months, I will be checked every 2 to 3 months.  Throughout this, I will continue keep all of you, my biggest supporters, updated via the blog.  I may not be updating as often as I have in the past, but I definitely will continue to.  We (myself and my family) will never be able to thank all of you for all you have done including your continued support and prayers.  I would never wish something like this on someone else, but if someday there were ever a time that someone was in need, I hope to be able to pay it forward and do all of the amazing things people have done for us for someone else who is in need.

2 comments:

  1. "Cancer Free" such beautiful words! Congratulations Meighan! YOU have been an inspiration to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete