Monday, November 28, 2011

Thankful

Well the Thanksgiving holiday is over, but I still couldn't be more thankful for so many people and things.  Obviously, I am very thankful for my health and being cancer free, but I'm also thankful for so much more. 

I am thankful for...
...La Vista Junior High.  The colleagues I work with are an amazing group of people.  They have been so supportive throughout my absence.  I have received food, gift cards, emails, cards, phone calls, ect. on a weekly basis from them.  They are always asking what else they can be doing.  My sped team and Cyclone team have added more on their plates in order to take everything off of mine.  My sub, has been working her tail off going above and beyond making sure my students are supported 100%.  It's been very hard for me to be gone from work, but my colleagues have made it a lot easier.  I will never be able to thank them for all that they have done, but I hope they know how much each and every one of them means to me.  Their caring, kindness, and generosity has been out of this world and appreciated more than they will ever know!
...my friends!  I seriously couldn't get better friends!  I have made so many friends in my life, through elementary school, high school, college, and now work.  My friends have always been important to me, and I've always tried my best to stay in touch with them all.  Throughout the past couple months, my friends have done an amazing job of staying in touch with me: through visits, phone calls, texts, facebook messages, emails, and cards.  They sat with me through chemo treatments, drove me to radiation, cleaned my house, made me food, kept me company when I really wasn't good company, and always offered to do WHATEVER it was that I needed, but also whatever Jerrid and Brayden needed.  I may not see or talk to all of my friends as much as I would like, but I look at that as a good problem to have: too many friends, just not enough time! 
...family:  Walsh's, McCarthy's, and Johansen's!  Even though we may not see our families as much as we would like, we always knew they were there for whatever we needed.  They were very supportive by calling often and sending us texts, cards, and emails.  When we were lucky enough to see them, they went along to chemo, cleaned our house, and cooked us food.  Jerrid's family was his rock through all of this, and what kept him going at times!
...all the different treatments I endured, even though it may have been a long rough road, I am thankful that those treatments exist because without them I would not be cancer free. 
...Dr. Duckert.  This man is not only an amazing radiologist, but also an amazing person.  I am so thankful for his expertise, treating me as if I was his only cancer patient, and always doing what was in my best interest in order to cure my cancer.  He checked in with me weekly throughout my treatments and made changes when they needed to be made.  He was always very positive, but at the same time wasn't one to mince words.  I never felt like he held anything back, and kept us very updated on exactly how things were going.  During my last implant treatment some doctor's may have kept my implant right where it was, as it was only 5 mm off.  Dr. Duckert though was not only concerned about curing my cancer, but also about the rest of my life.  Therefore, it had to be moved, or else damage would have been done to my bladder.  Today, I went in to get my staples out and Dr. Duckert took time out of his day to come up to check in with us, something he didn't have to do.  As always he did a great job of prepping us for the months to come, telling us what to look for, and telling us to call if we have ANY questions or concerns.  He left us with the words, "I really think this is going to stay cured."  I know, I will ride on those words for the next two months, until I go in for my first check. 
...Dr. Morris and his staff.  This man and his staff kept me going at times; telling me that I was doing a great job and reminding me that I needed to keep fighting when I would show up in his office skinnier, more pale, and more nauseous each week.  I may not have seen Dr. Morris as often as Dr. Duckert, but while in the hospital he told me: "You have obviously made an impact on those that have cared for you, as so many have talked to me about you.  You are an inspiration to those who care for you!"  Today, he said, "I see what everyone is talking about.  You have endured more than most do (not many patients of his get Syed Implant Radiation) and you are still the most pleasant patient we've had in our office."  Like in the hospital, today he again stated that the next 18 months might be harder mentally than the past couple months.  Like he said, I've already beat the cancer, and that's what's most important.  If I wake up every morning worried about whether the cancer has come back or not, then the cancer will win.  So along with Dr. Duckert's words, I will also remember what Dr. Morris told me to help me get through the next 18 months. 
...Brayden!  What a sweet little boy he is (most of the time.)  He has always been a very resilient little boy, and continued to be through his mommy's ordeal as he never skipped a beat.  He was very aware and understanding regarding mommy being sick.  He was constantly asking me how I was feeling or saying "When you feel better we'll..."  He has done a great job transitioning into preschool this fall; as he seems to love it, and is learning a lot.  He is the light of my life, and knowing how much he needs his mommy in his life has kept me fighting through this entire ordeal. 
...my mom and dad.  I don't even know where to start with them.  They have been there through everything, and done everything possible to help us out!  As I told them, we will never been able to thank them for all they have done for us, but we will do our best trying!  We wouldn't have been able to get through the last couple months without them and their constant love and support.  Words can not express how thankful we are!
...Jerrid!  Wowzers...what a husband, father, and human being!  This guy doesn't stop...or at least he hasn't yet.  I know it will eventually all catch up with him, but hopefully by then I'll be fully healed and able to care for him.  I have always thought of him as one of the most caring and genuine individuals.  I have always been thankful that he came into mine and Brayden's life, but now more than ever, I am very thankful!  He has done more than I ever expected, and not because I have asked that of him, but because that's just who he is.  He has done whatever has needed to be done, and he's done it without complaining.  He had a lot added onto his already full plate, but he still somehow got it all done and done well.  I'm a very lucky lady to have him by my side!

I could go on and on about all that I am thankful for, as I have so much in my life to be thankful for and to live for!  Thank you!


As I stated earlier, I did go back to the doctor today to get my staples out...my incision seems to be healing nicely, and it's not causing near as much pain as it was.  I'm still dealing with some other side effects of radiation and surgery, but those will slowly get better over the next few weeks.  Before leaving, we made our first follow-up appointment, which will be January 23rd.  So until then, we're hoping to get back to normal, whatever that may be...we really can't remember.  We will definitely continue to keep you all updated though...thanks for following and supporting!


Meighan, Jerrid, Brayden, and Mogi

No comments:

Post a Comment