Thursday, September 13, 2012

Game Plan

Today we met with Dr. Morris to learn about a clinical trial that I am eligible for.  This clinical trial is for cervical cancer patients whose cancer is persistent or has re-occurred and previous treatment has not worked.  The drug is called brivanib and is in a pill form.  The hope is that this drug will attach to and stop (turn off or inhibit) a protein called vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 (VEGFR2) from working.  VEGFR2 works by turning on or stimulating the growth of tumor blood vessels.  It also works by turning on the growth of tumor cells.  Brivanib will also hopefully attach to and stop another protein called fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) from working.  FGFR is another type of protein that works by turning on or stimulating the growth of tumor cells.  By stopping VEGFR2 and FGFR from working, brivanib will hopefully cause the cancer to shrink by stopping the growth of tumor blood vessels and tumor cells.  So, as you read, you can see there is a lot of "hoping" when it comes to this clinical trial and any clinical trial for that matter.  That is the point of clinical trials, to try something out to see if it's going to work.  There is obviously good reason, research, and facts to believe though that this IS going to work, otherwise, there would not be a clinical trial.  At the moment there are not a lot of treatment options out there for cervical cancer.  Therefore, by doing this clinical trial, I'm not only going cure my cervical cancer, but pretty much pave the way for cervical cancer treatments in the future...no big deal!  As my dad always said, "Go big or go home!"  Actually, my dad has never said that, but I like to say that he has!

So...now what?  Well tomorrow I will be heading in for multiple tests (chest CT, ECHO, EKG, blood tests, ect.) to ensure that I qualify for the trial, but Dr. Morris doesn't see any reason why I wouldn't.  Those results should all be in my Monday, and I will hopefully be able to start by the middle of next week.  The treatment regimen itself only involves taking 4 pills at the same time every day and then going in weekly for blood pressure checks and routine blood tests.  As with any drug, there are side effects, and most of them seem very similar to chemo side effects (fatigue, weakness, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, headaches.)  So we will see if this affects me or not, as always, I'll just take things one day at a time. 

Even though I'm going to start the clinical trial, I am still going to go down to MD Anderson.  I have an appointment with them on October 16th.  This appointment is not only for a second opinion/piece of mind, but also to hear if they have any other options for me. 

Thank you for your continued support, prayers, and never hosing hope!
Meighan

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that there is a plan in motion and you will get right going with the fight, aggressively attacking this cancer with all that you have! We will continue HOPEing, PRAYing, SUPPORTing, and cursing this cancer away. Your spirit is so healthy and strong...I can't wait for your body to get with the program!!!!
    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete